February 25, 2011


I've really been wanting to paint my own shoes lately. I love Keds and I've been needing a new pair for a while now so I played around with this design after doing the bowls(below).

They remind me a little bit of Care-A-Lot. Hah. But I still like them.

February 23, 2011

Bowl Mock-Ups

Finally I got these done! I think for some reason I thought I should wait so I kept putting them off, but here are the mock up designs for the bowls that will be matched with the tablecloth.

Tablecloth In Progress #2

The vines didn't work out. I loved them and I loved the girls but not together. Here's my second attempt. My roommate thinks the flowers need to look a little more 3D. 3D however has never been my strong suit. I think I'm headed in the right direction I just wish it wasn't taking so long. In the mean time, I've been watching Craig's List like a hawk trying to get just the right kitchen table to display my work on for commencement. I had one and it was perfect and for some reason they gave it away before I could pick it up. I was not happy.

I've been doing some tests to see how the transfer to fabric can be done and so far I like the middle one. Unfortunately though it's not machine washable because I used Micron.

February 17, 2011

Thesis : Tablecloth in progress

Maybe not progress...maybe more like preliminary stage. I'm having a rough time with this one but I want to make it count so I'm being a perfectionist. My biggest problem is I don't know how I want to actually make it. Digitally print? paint? screenprint? micron? I'm not too sure. I've been doing a lot of samples and so far I think I'm liking the micron best for the linework, I just have to be careful not to let it bleed, however, then I'm unsure how to get the vinework looking good. This is rough!

Here's a sample of the digital version:

February 7, 2011

Embroidery : Scandinavian Houses

I was doing some research and I came upon these beautiful pictures of a Scandinavian village.

I wanted to do something with them and then I remembered that I had been wanting to play around with embroidery again so I did a little experimenting. I didn't have as many colors as I would've liked because I used a lot of my embroidery floss when I made my Marni doll. But I managed well I think.

I'd forgotten how relaxing embroidery was. I'm trying to figure out how I can incorporate it into my thesis. I'm thinking of just doing a bunch of "embroidery paintings".

February 2, 2011

Valentine's Day Cards

This semester I'm doing an Independent Study with Daniel Krall and for my first assignment I had to do two Valentine's Day illustrations based on Valentine's Dos and Don'ts. My girl is "Don't wear hearts unless it's your underwear" and my boy is "Do right her a love song". I've made them both into cards and I'm definitely going to pass them out on the 14th! Happy Valentine's Day!