March 11, 2010

After MICA



I've been having a lot of discussions with my fellow artist friends lately about our lives after we graduate. We all have a lot of different things we want to do and we're not sure about but there have been some similar things that have gotten brought too. I'm not exactly sure where I'll end up but I did figure out a few things that I wanted to do. For one thing (and I'm terrified of saying this out loud, let alone posting it on a blog) I think I want to try to be a real artist. One thing that has scared me in school is that I haven't been able to stick to one thing. I love so many different mediums of art and I was worried that that was a bad thing. Lately though, I've been looking at it as a positive thing. It makes me genuinely unhappy that there doesn't seem to be almost any real art community in New Hampshire where I grew up. It's becoming more and more of a dream of mine to change that. One thing I'd like to do later is to have a gallery there that has real art that is relative to today's world. If that does well, or maybe if it doesn't, I've considered opening an art store that that carries real supplies, unlike AC Moore.
The painting above is an unfinished piece from last year and it's the kind of thing I'd like to do more of. I'd also like to create paper art with Eleni. We both love and it and it's something I'd love to explore with her. Thirdly, I'm anxiously waiting to take a weaving class this summer and I'd love to make fibers a more prominent medium in my work.
Illustration and Graphic Design are amazing and I love them both, but there's also a big fine artist in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment